Friday 13 January 2012

When the house is a mess and the kids are driving you crazy what else is there to do but build a fort?!


You know those days when nothing is going the way it's supposed to? Yeah this was one of those days! My house was in such a disastrous state that I could not do anything because of the mess. As I was attempting to get things done the kids were so not cooperating. They would fight with each other or give me the I have nothing to do whine.
I tried several times to redirect them to activities they enjoy but it was not working. At least not collectively. I put the TV on, suggested toys, games and books to occupy them. Nada! I'd no sooner get one kid engaged with something when the other would come at me with, I want to do... or I have nothing to do. Argh! When they would all miraculously be occupied the baby would wake up and cry or need to be fed or changed. You know how it is.

Dinner time was approaching and I mean I was in break down mode. Things were spirawling out of control and I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. Come to think of it I did cry .

So what do you do when things are this crazy?

I was trying to think of something I could do, anything! Then I remembered that we had 2 large boxes, that could be fun and keep the kids busy for a while. Alright, now I need to come up with something fun and exciting to do. I started to scroll through the idea's I had pinned on pinterest (thank you pinterest!!!!) and voila! My inspiration!

So 3 kids and 2 boxes, I had to get creative. I ordered pizza and got to work.  We took the boxes apart (the kids protested saying I was ruining them, just hold on mommy know's what she's doing, hopefully, lol)and attached them together with masking tape, making it a large octagonal shape. Is octagonal really a word, I have no idea I make things up as I go. While the kids are their pizza I started poking holes with a pen and sticking the Christmas lights through. They were so excited as they watched me at work, it was amazing! I was really getting into this now!

This is what I came up with and let me tell you it is one of the coolest things we've done with boxes before!

Abby was the first one done her dinner and the first to enter the new fort!

She was shortly joined by Mason and Madelyn who were super excited!


Next came the decorating. We grabbed the markers, pencil crayons and stickers and they got to work. Now it was time for me to get my stuff done but... I didn't! We were all so happy and excited with our plans for the fort that it didn't matter. They were decorating and I was taking pictures as best as I could peeking over the top or through the door. They did this till it was time for bed.

I think that day all I needed to do was take the time to spend a REAL moment with my kids. Not the ones where I'm so preoccupied with everything else that's going on that I'm not entirely there with them. It's embarrassing to think how many times I've forgotten this and how many times I've had to remind myself to just stop and enjoy this moment with my kids. This won't last forever and I had better get to enjoying it now!





Connor was now cooperating too! He jumped in his jumper and enjoyed looking at the lights. He was not allowed to help with the decorating because he still eats everything!







Madelyn had a friend over while Mason and Abby were at school the next day because forts are more fun with friends and frosty's!


And of course we had to do some more decorating!



All in all this day ended up being a great day! It started out very rough. At the end of the day the house was still a disaster but as for myself and the kids we were all much better off. I doubt that any of us will remember what a mess the house was that day, well I might but only due to the outcome of the day. But we will all likely keep our fond memories of building and decorating a fort together.

I've said before that when the kids are bored or acting a bit crazy that we should just stop and take a moment with them. Because they're really just trying to tell us that they want and need some time with us. When life gets crazy busy it's often hard to remember to stop and enjoy the small moments with your kids.

My son walked into the room as I was previewing this post and he said if you put that on the internet people will want you to make them one too! lol Love him!!!

1 comment:

  1. Stopped in to say hi. Your fort was awesome! Your post made me smile today because things were getting rough around here today and my son asked if we could build a fort. We did and I'm so glad. Great post and thoughts Amanda.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete