Monday 6 February 2012

We got a new puppy!

So me and Jonny had been talking for some time about getting another dog. We have one, Samali, and we thought she would love a play mate.

I was at the OEYC with the kids and in a casual conversation I was talking about a dog I knew of that might be needing a home. One of the ladies who works there said she knew of a dog that needed a home and did I want to see it? At first I kinda panicked. Wait I'm not 100% sure I really want another dog. We heard this little puppy's story. She was adopted by a girl who moved here from China. She unfortunately is not able to keep her because she was going back to China for a long visit and could not take the dog with her or find anyone here to watch her for the long time she'd be away. So she needed a new home.

I told Jonny about the dog and he was all for it. I called our vet to check what our yearly vaccinations would now cost with another animal, to make sure that this was something that we could actually afford to do. It was and all things were a go, we had made arrangements to go and meet her and I was feeling a little anxious. After all this girl could have decided to keep the puppy or give her to someone else. Then I started to question my decision, should we REALLY  do this? My anxiety was building. I've been reading a book about anxiety and decided that I need to pray about it and release it to God. If it was meant to be it would be. Phew I felt sooo much better after praying about it and not worrying about it anymore. We would go and meet the puppy and if the meeting went well and the girl wanted to give her to us then we would have a new addition to our family.

Me, Jonny, two of our kids and Samali went to meet this little puppy. She was very timid of us at first. Once we left her old owner she attached herself to me. She tried several times to crawl under my feet, problem was I was driving. Jonny scooped her up and snuggled her. Samali and her sniffed noses and things settled down.

Mason and Abby we're a little shocked when we met them at the bus after school with our 2 dogs. They had no idea, it was awesome! Madelyn and Jonny had been talking about calling her Sequin. If you have little girls and have ever seen Barbie Fashion Fairytale you might be familiar with Barbies pet poodle Sequin. Mason was very upset that this was what we were going to call her. We tried to reassure him that it was a nice name and he could call her Seck or Seckie for short. After talking it through with him he didn't care what we named the dog, he was more worried that Madelyn had not named a pet yet. Oh my! He and Abby named the cat's and me and Jonny settled on Samali. He was upset thinking that Madelyn was left out. I swear sometimes that boy can melt my heart with his sweetness. I told him to go and talk with Madelyn about what she wished to call the dog. Sequin. Alright then she has her name.

Her first night at home we let her loose to get familiar with her new home and the other animals and children in the home. In that first night she growled at Samali when she would come near me. That sent Samali scurrying back to her bed. There's no need to make a skiddish dog even more nervous. Moses who usually sleeps at my feet was chased out of our room numerous times that night. Let me tell you waking up to claws scraping the floor and animals colliding into walls as they chase each other is not fun!




The next day her official welcome to the family this is how we do things started. She did not know or understand us, I'm thinking her previous owner spoke Chinese to her. So she's been wearing a leash around the house. This is to let her know that she's not the boss and helps us correct her behaviour. ex. if we call her and she does not come we will take her leash and repeat the command to her and lead her to where we were when we called her. While we've been teaching Sequin we've really come to appreciate what a good girl Samali is! It's also encouraging because I know that we will get Sequin there too.

She is a joy to have and so far, with the exception of those jealous moments, everyone likes her.
Check back this week for more posts about our new puppy and how the other animals are adjusting to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment