Thursday 9 February 2012

That junk drawer is no good I can't shove stuff in it!

Yes I have a junk drawer and a junk counter for that matter but that's for another time. I've seen a ton of posts on pinterest of how people have conquered their junk drawers and I was inspired. There was no specific pins that stood out from the others but they all combined to inspire what I came up with.

I have looked at the ones you can buy in the stores but in my opinion they waste space and I'd like to take advantage of every inch because we have a lot of junk. Anyway my beef with drawer organisers is that they either don't fit, too big, too small. Or too shallow. In a deep drawer it makes absolutely no sense to me to use a divider that will either have things spilling over or not using up all of that deep space! And last but not least I do not want to pay for something that I am capable of doing myself.


My materials were empty boxes I've saved from the recycling bin because I thought they might work. Scissors and a pen. Simple.

I put the boxes in the drawer and traced the line of the top of the drawer and then cut along the line. Assembled the boxes in the drawer and then filled them with our junk drawer junk.

Now I have some nice deep dividers that house their own individual supplies and I'm happy. I proudly show Jonny what I've done and he's not so impressed. I ask him if he likes it because he's not offering any input on what's happened to the drawer. Apparently he won't be able to just open the drawer and stuff whatever in there.

Alright so we're not on the same page as to the function of a junk drawer. He would like an bottomless drawer to house all the things he can't bring himself to throw away that magically has more space each time he put's something in it. I would like a neat and orderly little spot for things that don't necessarily have another home.

I did this last week and he's not messed with it so that's a good sign. He even asked me where something was and I told him it's in it's spot in the junk drawer. Usually he'd just open the drawer take a peek and claim he looked but couldn't find it. But guess what?! He found it! This is working out even better than I had hoped!


The finished product. I am not completely satisfied with this solution I have come up with so I will continue to work on it, tweak it. But for now it is doing what it's supposed to do and I've not spent a penny on it.
 
This is what it looks like after being put to use for a little while. I took this pic last night before finishing this post and it's still working for me! YAY!!!


I so want to do the kids bathroom drawer now too. All in good time, that is when I find the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment